[linux-dvb] Re: Alphacrypt CI Low Priority? (was: Re: VDR 0.82 and Alphacrypt CI)

> It helps me, as it says I have done nothing wrong.
> So I'll have to boot Windows whenever I want to record or view something
> encrypted, is that right?

Yes.

> And I'll have to crawl behind my machine and insert the alphacrypt,
because
> with inserted module the Linux driver hangs almost totally.

Yes, same thing here. My VDR machine sits behind a curtain in my living
room. Fortunately my friends and family know what I'm doing there ;-)

> Seems not too low for a priority to me....or am I the only one?

I think there are really more important things than support for each and
every CI module out there; like fixing ARM RESETs, making tuning more
reliable and overall stability improvements (ok, *no* CI module seems to
work with the current CVS driver but that was different last week). You
should also keep in mind that the driver is being written by a company that
wants to make money selling Linux-based set-top boxes one day. We can be
very happy that their driver is freely available. If they think CI support
is not important right now, it is not important right now ;-) The situation
would probably change as soon as DVB becomes mainstream and someone has the
courage to write an open-source firmware for the DVB card.

> Should I return the Alphacrypt and get an Irdeto Allcam instead?

If you get a working Irdeto Allcam, that would be possible. But as far as I
know, there is no legal way to watch German PayTV programs with the Allcam.
The Irdeto CIM that is still publicly available cannot decode German
programs (Premiere World, ORF).

Regards,
hh