[linux-dvb] Re: Latest CVS driver results with VDR... was: DVB-S in the US.

Chris Worley wrote:

> Chris Worley wrote:
>
>> Ralph Metzler wrote:
>>
>>> William E. Mrozinski writes:
>>> Please try the latest CVS version of the driver.
>> Improvement!
>>
>> The colors are correct.  The image flickers and is shifted about 20%
>> to the left.

> This seems to be caused by vdr getting stuck in a flush... an OSD bitmap
> move.  From past experience, this happens when OSD memory is overtaxed.
> Since it worked before this driver switch, I'm guessing the new driver
> puts more pressure on OSD memory.
>
> I've removed flush's call to "cmd", and the hang goes away.

It seems that the "8-bit-boundry" hack (needed by OSD bitmap calls,
documented in the "flush" routine of VDR's dvbosd.c) doesn't work for
NTSC.  I've replaced flush's "cmd" call with a printf, they all look
the same:

width 480, dirtyX1 0, dirtyY1 0, dirtyX2 479, dirtyY2  2

The arguments look good for NTSC, so, I'm guessing the the OSD bitmap
algorithm needs to change for NTSC.

> If I kill vtr, then the flicker goes away.

I figured the flicker must be caused by some ioctl that VDR's
constantly hitting: it's not.

In stracing VDR, cDisplayChannel::ProcessKey is getting called about
40 times/sec, causing a lot of system "time" calls, but that was about
it.  No ioctls to the DVB driver while the video is flickering.

Also, the flickering isn't consistent.  When it's consistent, it seems
to always occur exclusively for certain channels, but never happens
with other channels.  Killing VDR stops the flickering (leaving the
channel displaying).

Chris