[linux-dvb] Re: WinTV Nova - and now ?!

Stefan Schluenss schrieb:

> Hi Rolf,
>
> do you have kids ? I have, and their bedtime starts often to the best tv
> time. So, i guess it would be better to spent the time to bring them into the
> bed (without watching steadily to the clock ) and start the tv evening just
> later.

No, I don't have kids (not yet), and maybe that explains your interest in time
shifted recordings/playback.

> And the cost reduction is about 300,-DM !(400,-DM fully DVBs card + 200,-DM
> low budget card - both second hand against 200,-DM low buget + 100,-DM MPEG2
> card). The PCI bus will be stressed for both solutions.

If you're doing it that way, it's true. I thought about just looking TV on ONE
DVB-S card, that doesn't stress the PCI bus, what is VERY positive in my opinion
(because PC hardware is not very reliable when stressed over time). BTW, where
do you get the Nova and DXR3 cards that cheap ??

> But if me dream never comes true, i can switch to the highend solution by
> just buying the DVBs card, that's the reason why i bought the Nova first.
>
> My real question was about getting only the Nova running (recording only,
> because of missing MPEG2 decoder hardware). Do you have any hints about that.

The program you're looking for is VDR, which can be got from

http://www.cadsoft.de/people/kls/vdr/download.htm

I don't use it, but AFAIK it should be able to record from Nova as well. You
could run into problems, as I don't know whether VDR or even 'tuxzap' are able
to run without ANY DVB-s MPEG-decoders ??? Additionally I have no idea of DXR3
being supported for linux. If it is, you should be able to just cat the MPEG2
PES datastream from /dev/ost/dvr to whatever device DXR3 uses. If neither VDR
nor tuxzap works, the next version of DTV should solve your problem, as it will
be able to feed the 'dvr' device (i.e. switching to a channel with providing the
stream at /dev/ost/dvr') while disabling the OSD. Additionally the user setup
possibilities will be enlarged, therefore you will be able to trigger user
defined events when switching channels (could be used to (re)start a 'viewer'
application for DXR3, or providing that kind of application with channel
informations). But in my opinion it would be even better to use a
MPEG-accelerated graphics card with TV-out (most of them have this acceleration
today), as the main functionality missing with DXR3 is OSD, which was/is the
main reason for me to use digital TV.

Regards,

Rolf