[linux-dvb] Re: New install

Hi!

On Fri, 27 Jul 2001, Matt Tovey wrote:
> The problem is that 'make' works its way down through the driver build
> to the apps/tuxzap directory, and gives up as no Makefile is found.

Yes, that's a dumb configuration of the cascaded Makefiles.

> Looking in the tuxzap directory, there is no Makefile there. The INSTALL
> file says to run 'configure' to generate the Makefile, but there is also
> no 'configure'. I have run autogen.sh to try to create the 'configure'
> script (had to install all sorts of packages that weren't already on my
> system), but that fails, as follows:
>
> Firstly, gettextize says that I should update aclocal.m4. I've tried
> doing so, but it always gets overwritten when I rerun the autogen
> script.

Unimportant. Don't waste time with it.

> Then aclocal says 'AM_PATH_GTK' not found in library.
> Then automake says that 'INTLLIBS' is not defined.
> autoconf then says that AC_PROG_LIBTOOL is undefined.
> Finally, configure then comes up with the error that AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE is
> not known to it ("syntax error near unexpected token").
> I've tried to read up on this gettext stuff, but haven't got anywhere!

Same problem as presented here at the list a few days ago, and I also had
it: The errors are caused by the unsuitable acinclude.m4 (version
mismatch). Remove that file before you call autogen.sh. And also remove
all other intermediately created files. Or better, delete the whole subdir
tree and install it again.

Regarding missing AM_PATH_GTK: Did you compile and install the GTK package
yourself? Then maybe the file gtk.m4 has landed where it should not.
gtk.m4 should reside where all other aclocal-m4-files are. Usually this is
at /usr/share/aclocal, but may be different with your Linux distribution.

> Also, I went back to the linuxtv web site, and noticed that the version
> 0.9 stuff wasn't there to download anymore. So I downloaded 0.8.2, but
> then had other problems with compiling the DVB driver, as well as the
> same problems with tuxzap!

Indeed, my experiences are based on 0.8.2. I even had installed an updated
gettext package... Needless. 0.8.2-tuxzap configures o.k. as soon as
acinclude.m4 is deleted at the beginning.

Btw, I don't know if you already did it: You can add a
  NOCONFIGURE="yes"
among the first lines of autogen.sh to prevent an automatical start
of ./configure. So you can watch autogen.sh's screen messages without
hastiness. Of course, you have to call ./configure manually then.

Bye,
     Rolf