[linux-dvb] Re: Fernseh-fee

Am 29.07.2001, schrieb Ralf Spachmann <kde4linux@melware.de> ...

> The Fernseh-Fee will stop recording while commercials are sent out.
> (commercial free decoder)

> Anyone knows how this could be done ?
> The product description says that the stations send out start/stop
> signals whean ads are sent ?! Do we know those signals ?

AFAIK it's not the stations who send a signal, it's the maker of the
FernsehFee who sends out those informations via a normal radio-broadcast.
I'm quite sure that there is now real safe automatic way of recognizing
the commercials, so (I read somewhere) the FrensehFee-Makers have lots of
students who watch the programs and manually press a button when a
commercial starts... and I'm also sure that the start/stop-meachnism of
the FernsehFee will be exact enough... so that we will still have a few
seconds of the commercials at the beginning and lose seconds of the
program when starting again.
I'm also not sure if and how long this service will be maintained...
Besides that it may be a good idea, with VDRs cutting-mechanisms, we
already can cut out the commercials much more precise and it will not
take that much work.

> I think that the Fee uses EPG signals for most of its features.

I don't think so. I'm sure that NO TV-station will be so cooperative that
they send out signals for a service which would cost them lots of money.

Greetings,   Marcus