[linux-dvb] Re: lockups while watching TV

tvbaalen@freeler.nl(Ton van Baalen)  13.11.01 19:35

Once upon a time Ton van Baalen shaped the electrons to say...

>Hi Martin,

>You could have some kind of a hardware problem. I don't know what type
>of DVB card you are using, but mine (a Galaxis card) was giving
>similar problems because the tuner chip became too hot. It turned out
>that there was a metal clip from the cover of the tuner compartment
>touching the chip for cooling did not make a good contact.

>There was too little of the heat transporting gel between
>the chip and the metal clip.

>When I corrected that the problems were gone.

How do apply the extra gel/open the shielded box?
It looks like it is soldered (sometimes) in the egdes...

Oops... opened the Alps BSRUG-602a tuner of a Haupage-Nova.
No "heat transportion gel" at all!
After closing the box i found that there is no(!) (can't be any)
contact between the cooling strip and the IC (a
STV0299AAA JO13STC J22170025 (SGS-Thompson))
At least 1mm "air" between cooler and chip!
There seems no way to adjust cooler and IC parallel!
(Benting the case...)

No, the card do not work very well!
(Remember the threads about "MPEG1" error. It's so silent
because i managed to place in a second full size card
into the MS-6215. That are only millimeters and i added an etra
fan for the cards.)

Hm, next card:
2mm gap (Rev. 2.1)
next
1.5mm gap (Rev. 1.5)

Are you sure that this is (still) a cooler
and required to be used??
Or are they just reusing old case parts?
Which tuner have your card?

Added a few "heat transportion gel", reduce the gap.
Reinserted the Nova:
seems to be better.
But still async audio and artefacts(pixelaltions in
"high" speed parts) in image and audio
i not had with the Rev.1.5.