[linux-dvb] Call for help on CI problems (was: Re: Driver developers ! When will you fix the CAM problem ???)

> I run my linux dvb box now for more then a year .. as the driver switches
> to a new CAM-API the problems started .. the
> well-known-encrypt-after-replay problem.
>
> When will you try to fix thise problem ??? It started 10-11 Months ago.

Don't cry, my AlphaCrypt module doesn't work at all ...

> P.S: Don't tell me it's open source and I could fix it by myself .. I
> CAN'T

I discussed this with Martin Springer from Convergence recently. He told me
that CI support simply had (and still has) no priority for Convergence. The
driver for the Siemens/Technotrend line of DVB cards is more or less a
test-bed for the software they are developing for embedded systems and there
simply has been no need for a Common Interface yet. If I understood Martin
correctly (BTW, thank you for your extensive answers to my questions!), this
situation will not change in the near future. Better CI support will
probably come to you DVB card once Convergence has sold its software to a
receiver manufacturer that has a need for a working Common Interface ;-)

In the meantime, there are three things we (the users of the DVB driver)
could do to solve the problem:

1. Write a new firmware for the DVB card. I don't know how much work this is
and if you are still required to sign a NDA to get the necessary
documents/sourcecode from Technotrend. The firmware could either be a
closed-source replacement for Convergence's firmware or under GPL, depending
on what Technotrend demands?! There are currently at least three firmware
versions available (Technotrend, Convergence, WinDVBLive), so it can't be an
impossible task.

2. As Ralph Metzler wrote a while ago, the documents you need to implement a
new CI stack are freely available. Everyone can write a new CI stack, test
it on a PCMCIA interface and then submit it to Convergence to be included in
the driver/firmware.

I'm no programmer, so I cannot fix the problem myself. But there are
probably people out there who have the necessary knowledge and would like to
help. I can do some coordination work and I can help out with resources
(hardware, software, disk space, paperwork etc.). If anyone who reads this
thinks he or she can help, please contact me!

Regards,
hh