[linux-dvb] Re: using ffmpeg on /dev/video

Schuett Thomas writes:

 > Sorry for asking, but now I completely lost you:
 >
 > All this sounds like you can get compressed video (MPEG)
 > on /dev/ost/dvr *and*as*well* uncompressed video on /dev/video.
 >
 > a) I remember to have read in here, that the PCI is not fast enough
 > to even transport only-I-Frame-Video. So why shall it be fast enough
 > to transport uncompressed video?
 >
 > b) I thought, /dev/video is something only related to DVB7.x and earlier.
 > (Yes, /dev/video is the standard i4l Interface of course, but still I remember
 > to have read, that this device is "out" with the DVB8.x)

The /dev/video device is just the normal v4l device of the saa7146,
which has the output of the MPEG decoder as video input. The data
comes via a completely different channel. Where did you think tuxview
or xawtv get the picture from?
We used to use /dev/video for tuning, section filter and compressed
video before the new API was developed. It that sense it is no longer
used. Now it is only for the display/overlay of the video picture.

Marcus

Dr. Marcus Metzler
mocm@netcologne.de                     http://www.metzlerbros.de
mocm@convergence.de                    http://www.convergence.de