[linux-dvb] Re: A LOT of newbie questions

> The future in DVB
> -----------------
>
> 1. As I've understood it, one should not buy the 1st generation
> set-top-boxes since they are missing features like MHP support etc. What
> about DVB cards? Can I just update my Linux DVB-driver and add some
> additional software in the future in order to get MHP support?

I don't think you will be able to use MHP applications on a DVB PCI card
model you can buy right now. The OSD (on-screen display) functionality of
the current models is very limited. There will certainly be some kind of MHP
support under Linux in the future but you will most likely need
additional/different hardware.

> 2. Are there any other features that set-top-boxes are missing (except
> hard drives) that can be added to a Linux-DVB system?

There are a couple of set-top boxes with a built-in HD available. Most of
them are not upgradable, though. IMHO, the main advantage of the Linux-based
PC system is its flexibility. You can have master-timer scan the EPG and
create timers for you automatically. You can easily copy the MPEG data to
CDs or convert it into other formats. If you run out of disk space, it's
easy and cheap to add another hard drive. Last but not least, I don't think
there is any V(C|D)R you can control via Telnet ;-)

> Tuning
> ------
>
> 1. I live in Finland and we have nation wide (not yet complete) DVB-T and
> DVB-C broadcasts. How do I tune the DVB card? There's a channel
> configuration file, but where do I get the frequencies? Is there some
> utility for Linux that scans for channels?

There is no tool to scan for DVB-t channels yet (?) but DTV
(http://hesdvb.sourceforge.net/) can scan for channels on DVB-s and DVB-c
cards.

> 1. What software do I need for watching tv and using VDR?

You need a Linux system running Kernel version 2.4.x, the DVB driver from
linuxtv.org's CVS and optionally LIRC and an IR receiver if you want to use
a remote control.

> 2. What about texttv and EPG?

VDR and DTV can display EPG information. Teletext is available through your
TV (and there is probably some software available for Linux but I don't know
about that).

> As I have understood it, I need at least two DVB cards if I want to:
>
> 1. do multiple recordings at the same time

Yes.

> 2. watch a recording and record at the same time

Yes.

> 3. watch tv and record at the same time

Yes, unless you want to watch what you are recording :^)

> 4. do timeshifting

Yes. The DVB card can only record *or* replay a recording but not both at
the same time.

> 5. do timeshifting and record (this requires three cards?)

Yes, this requires three cards.

> TchnoTrend card output
> archives mentioned a J2 jumper on the board, but as I understand it, that
> was in an earlier revision of the card?

The type of connectors depends on the card you are using. See the FAQ at
http://www.linuxdvb.tv/cgi-bin/fom for details.

> 2. The technotrend webpages mention a remote controller:

AFAIk, the remote control is only part of the Hauppauge retail package.

> "An optional remote control, S/PDIF out, and an embedded CA with smart
> card reader, SCART out, are available; these features support an open API

The remote control is also available seperately (or you can use any other
RC-5 compatible RCU with the built-in IR receiver). The S/PDIF output is
standard on Rev. 2.1 cards and available through the J2 connector. You can
buy an additional CA (Conditional Access) daughterboard to use CI (Common
Interface) modules to watch encrypted channels.

> 1. The analog satellite scrambling seemed to be easy to bypass with season
> cards etc. What's the situation with digital scrambling and especially
> with the scrambling used in DVB-C broadcasts.

First, you need a CI module that can decode the encryption method used by
the content provider. Second, you need a valid subscription (smart card) to
watch the program. You won't get answers on how to abuse the CA system on
this list ...

> DVB-PC vs. Set-Top-Box
> ----------------------
>
> 1. IMHO the Linux-based DVB-VDR box sounds really cool and I would like to
> build such a system, but are there are situations where a STB would be
> better than a PC?

The Linux-based solution is not ready for 24/7 use yet. The driver will
sometimes crash or you won't get an image after a lot of channel switches
anymore. Second, most CI modules don't work at the moment. A STB will most
likely not have that kind of problems. But a STB is much less flexible than
a VDR box.

> P.S. If your a FAQ maintainer and see stuff you want to put into the FAQ,
> feel free to copy'paste.

Thanks ... although most of your questions have been answered in the FAQ
already ;-)

Regards,
hh