[linux-dvb] Re: A LOT of newbie questions

Hi Lauri!

> 1. As I've understood it, one should not buy the 1st generation
> set-top-boxes since they are missing features like MHP support etc. What
> about DVB cards? Can I just update my Linux DVB-driver and add some
> additional software in the future in order to get MHP support?

I don't know much about MHP but I don't think that you'll have problems
to add either software or connect/add some hardware to your Linux Box,
so principially I'd say yes it's possible.

> 2. Are there any other features that set-top-boxes are missing (except
> hard drives) that can be added to a Linux-DVB system?

You can use all software available for Linux on a Linux DVB system,
f.e. integrate web, ftp, stream or whatever service :-) Especially
having an USB interface there are many possibilities.

> 3. Are there such features that are planned for DVB that cannot be added
> to the Linux-DVB system?

No.

> 1. I live in Finland and we have nation wide (not yet complete) DVB-T and
> DVB-C broadcasts. How do I tune the DVB card? There's a channel
> configuration file, but where do I get the frequencies? Is there some
> utility for Linux that scans for channels?

I can only help you with DVB-S tuning, but the hardware supported by
linux-dvb software has all you need to tune your cards. For scanning
channels there is no longer a scanning software, but you might try
dtv.

> Required software
> -----------------
>
> 1. What software do I need for watching tv and using VDR?

linux-dvb software, best is a recent version from CVS, available
as archive from linuxdvb.tv.

> 2. What about texttv and EPG?

dtv has both possibilities, especially if you use postgresql
database. See http://hesdvb.sf.net

> 2. The technotrend webpages mention a remote controller:
>
> "An optional remote control, S/PDIF out, and an embedded CA with smart
> card reader, SCART out, are available; these features support an open API
> (application programming interface) for third-party software developers"
>
> What does this mean?

- S/PDIF: A digital audio output, input is usually more interesting for
  your own records on a digital recorder IMO.
- CA: Common Access interface for adding Hardware to be able to watch
  encrypted channels
- Smart card reader: Reader to insert the cards  needed for decrypting
  the above mentioned channels
- Scart out: Scart is the standard Video/Audio output/input combo, again
  input is IMO more interesting for e.g. storing/streaming your old
  analogue (S)VHS records. (Out: simply to connect to TV or to a Video Rec.)
- API: They simply want to say that they use no proprietary hardware

> 1. The analog satellite scrambling seemed to be easy to bypass with season
> cards etc. What's the situation with digital scrambling and especially
> with the scrambling used in DVB-C broadcasts.

You are not allowed to discuss this topic on this ML, I can only tell you
that you need CA and the corresponding HW and cards to watch encrypted
channels (linux-dvb supports only this and nothing more).

> DVB-PC vs. Set-Top-Box
> ----------------------
>
> 1. IMHO the Linux-based DVB-VDR box sounds really cool and I would like to
> build such a system, but are there are situations where a STB would be
> better than a PC?

Yes, if you don't know anything about computers and linux and you
are not willing to learn something but just simply want to watch TV
and maybe do records sometimes. You get much easier in contact with
HW/SW problems using a linux DVB system than you do when using a STB.

With best regards,

Reinhard Katzmann
--
Software-Engineer, Developer for Embedded Devices
Project: HyperPen Tablet USB Driver for Linux

-- Type: application/pgp-signature