[linux-dvb] A LOT of newbie questions

Hi guys,

I've been looking into DVB cards - VDR - ... during the past week. And I
have gathered a lot of questions related to the subject. I'd be very
grateful for all answers. Please answer although you don't know the
answers to all of my questions. You can reply directly to me or to the
list.

As I said in the subject, I'm a newbie when it comes to DVB stuff. I'm
planning on getting a DVB-C card, but I have a lot of unanswered
questions. I've been reading the various sites (linuxtv.org, linuxdvb.tv,
..), but I haven't been able to get so many answers :(

Oh yeah, I'm interested in DVB-C cards, so when answering take that into
consideration.

Here we go...

The future in DVB
-----------------

1. As I've understood it, one should not buy the 1st generation
set-top-boxes since they are missing features like MHP support etc. What
about DVB cards? Can I just update my Linux DVB-driver and add some
additional software in the future in order to get MHP support?

2. Are there any other features that set-top-boxes are missing (except
hard drives) that can be added to a Linux-DVB system?

3. Are there such features that are planned for DVB that cannot be added
to the Linux-DVB system?

Tuning
------

1. I live in Finland and we have nation wide (not yet complete) DVB-T and
DVB-C broadcasts. How do I tune the DVB card? There's a channel
configuration file, but where do I get the frequencies? Is there some
utility for Linux that scans for channels?

Required software
-----------------

1. What software do I need for watching tv and using VDR?

2. What about texttv and EPG?

Multiple DVB cards
------------------

As I have understood it, I need at least two DVB cards if I want to:

1. do multiple recordings at the same time

2. watch a recording and record at the same time

3. watch tv and record at the same time

4. do timeshifting

5. do timeshifting and record (this requires three cards?)

TchnoTrend card output
archives mentioned a J2 jumper on the board, but as I understand it, that
was in an earlier revision of the card?

2. The technotrend webpages mention a remote controller:

"An optional remote control, S/PDIF out, and an embedded CA with smart
card reader, SCART out, are available; these features support an open API
(application programming interface) for third-party software developers"

What does this mean?

Common interface
----------------

1. The analog satellite scrambling seemed to be easy to bypass with season
cards etc. What's the situation with digital scrambling and especially
with the scrambling used in DVB-C broadcasts.

DVB-PC vs. Set-Top-Box

1. IMHO the Linux-based DVB-VDR box sounds really cool and I would like to
build such a system, but are there are situations where a STB would be
better than a PC?

I think that's all ;) I'm very grateful for all answer!

-- Lauri

P.S. If your a FAQ maintainer and see stuff you want to put into the FAQ,
feel free to copy'paste.