[vdr] Re: [linux-dvb] Re: Bad news (summary)

Carsten Koch <Carsten.Koch@icem.de> writes:

> Guido Fiala wrote:
> ...  > Maybe it's no serious possibility - but how about all of us
> list-people > together supporting convergence?
>
> Good idea.
> What convergence needs of course is business, not pittance.
>
> Here are a few first ideas what we can do:

[...]

Thanks a lot for your support. It is good to know that there are
people out there who actually understand what we are doing.

I am proud of what we (the linux-dvb hackers and the convergence
employees) have jointly created during the last two years. While Tivo
and ReplayTV are sueing each other about the question of who invented
writing data on a harddisk, we are constantly improving VDR, dvbstream
and other useful tools for receiving, recoding and transmitting
digital television.

Many set-top box manufacturers are already using our LinuxTV and
DirectFB (http://directfb.org) technology for their internal
developement and industry consortia like the TV Linux Alliance are
considering using it for their standards. Due to the GNU license, our
Open Source projects will definitely survive, whatever happens to the
company convergence who made it possible.

A single company cannot dominate the market anymore by defining the
technical standards of digital television. The Linux community owns
the source code of digital television technology based on open
standards like DVB and MHP. Thus we are able to change today`s
television to whatever we like. This is why I am confident about the
future of LinuxTV.

yours sincerely
--
Martin Springer, Chief Evangelist
convergence integrated media gmbh      GPG Key-ID  1024D/8EFE7B2F

Home | Main Index | Thread Index