[vdr] Re: [linux-dvb] Re: Bad news (summary)

Is there anything what could be done from this lists to be sure that
convergence survive?  Maybe mailing to some vendors like Technisat,
Nokia, ...  all of those who have sell hardware because convergence
has written the drivers needed to run it on linux?

           Werner

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 12:24:44PM +0100, Martin Springer wrote:

> Thanks a lot for your support. It is good to know that there are
> people out there who actually understand what we are doing.
>
> I am proud of what we (the linux-dvb hackers and the convergence
> employees) have jointly created during the last two years. While Tivo
> and ReplayTV are sueing each other about the question of who invented
> writing data on a harddisk, we are constantly improving VDR, dvbstream
> and other useful tools for receiving, recoding and transmitting
> digital television.
>
> Many set-top box manufacturers are already using our LinuxTV and
> DirectFB (http://directfb.org) technology for their internal
> developement and industry consortia like the TV Linux Alliance are
> considering using it for their standards. Due to the GNU license, our
> Open Source projects will definitely survive, whatever happens to the
> company convergence who made it possible.
>
> A single company cannot dominate the market anymore by defining the
> technical standards of digital television. The Linux community owns
> the source code of digital television technology based on open
> standards like DVB and MHP. Thus we are able to change today`s
> television to whatever we like. This is why I am confident about the
> future of LinuxTV.
>
> yours sincerely
> --
> Martin Springer, Chief Evangelist
> convergence integrated media gmbh      GPG Key-ID  1024D/8EFE7B2F
> Rosenthaler Str. 51                    ph/ +49 (0)30- 72 62 06 73
> D-10178 Berlin                         fx/ +49 (0)30- 72 62 06 55

Home | Main Index | Thread Index