[linux-dvb] Re: Fw: DVB audio/video decoder API

> I'm not shure about Ralph's last work for the AV7110 firmware, so maybe
> my knowledge is out of date. I don't know what the firmware does
> for DATA_TS_RECORD.
> Look in av7110.c for pes_to_ts(). AFAIK the does AV7110 not give you
> the TS packets, at least not if the data is also going to the
> MPEG decoder (i.e. maybe it works for DMX_PES_OTHER).

There's a lot of interesting stuff in this list's archives, and I guess some
legacy stuff is still in the driver which maybe doesn't have to be anymore?

For example, recording while viewing the exact same source is a special case
needing (or used to need) special handling (i.e. having the data go to the
decoder as well as to the driver).

But with the timeshifting firmware, you could just eliminate this special
case, and have all tv go through the driver. I.e. even when watching "live"
TV you are timeshifting (except maybe if you are willing to not do any
recording at the same time). STB's with recording capabilities might as well
just add "pausing live tv" (tm) for free.

I'm still not sure what to think of the DMX_TYPE_[VIDEO|AUDIO] vs
DMX_TYPE_OTHER, but it would be a nice world if it was possible to ask the
driver for any streams you want (directly from the card) and point one of
them (going through a small buffer) back at the decoder.

> STB controllers that support recording can use any format they want,
> as long as they support playback of the same format.

But they'll want to use the the particular recording format which takes the
least amount of CPU  (given that of course it can play it back :-)

Something to keep developers busy I guess :-)
Cheers,
Dennis