[linux-dvb] Re: Fw: DVB audio/video decoder API

Klaus Schmidinger writes:
 > Johannes Stezenbach wrote:

 > > One thing the driver does which I think it shouldn't is emulating
 > > demux features in software that the hardware doesn't have.
 > > E.g. the AV7110 does not give us the TS, thus the output for
 > > the dvr device must be recreated in software from PES packets.
 > > IOW, there's a complete TS multiplexer implementation in the
 > > driver.
 >
 > I wonder how the new firmware manages to provide several streams, then.
 > It looks to the application as if the entire TS would be available, so
 > it can record several programmes (from the same transponder) even on a
 > "full featured" DVB card (with AV7110). I wouldn't want to lose that
 > capability... As far as I understand Ralph's work here he found a way
 > to grab the TS data by directly reaching into the data stream at an earlier
 > stage, before the PES packets are generated. maybe I'm misunderstanding
 > something here, but the bottom line is: the driver should _always_ provide
 > TS data - IMHO...

Yes, except for the current A/V-PIDs which are processed in hardware
and cannot be reached inside the firmware before they get put into
ES (for video) and PES (for aduio) by the demux hardware.

Those are the only ones which still get converted to TS by the driver
when using the newer firmwares (September 2002 and later)
and having the new features activated.
Any other processing of received packets could now slowly be thrown
out of the driver.
I already started doing that.

Ralph