[linux-dvb] Re: DVB Newbie

I have bought dxr3 a few days ago, because software MPEG2 decoding eats too much CPU of my PIII 500. I used Xine before, and I must say, picture quality was excellent. I want to watch TV on my monitor and with dxr3 I have 2 possibilities:

1) Use VGA overlay - it is very unstable under linux and all picture (nonvideo) is a little bit degraded.
2) Connect svideo-out on dxr3 to svideo-in on my Ati-All-In-Wonder and watch with avview or xawtv - picture quality is degraded.

If you wanna watch video on you monitor, have budget card and have fast CPU, then use Xine :) It is much better than mplayer. Xine supports channel switching with OSD (but doesn't support more DVB cards :() and plays MPEG on slow CPU more smoothly than mplayer. Btw. mplayer still dosn't support TS on input.

If your video is choppy, then MPEG is probably interlaced. Choose deinterlace method in setup window and then activate deinterlacing by pressing "i".

If you are going to buy dxr3, then remember problems with watching video on monitor.

Michal

--[ UxBoD ]-- wrote:
What would be the best card for DVR then? Can you still get DXVR3 cards
new?