[linux-dvb] Re: CPU Usage of kdvb-fe

Am Die, 2003-06-10 um 15.23 schrieb Holger Waechtler:
> Rene Bartsch wrote:
> >
> > Shouldn't there be a fail-safe solution limiting CPU-load of kdvb-fe?
> >
> > I don't think it is the right way to break a machine which may have
> > other important tasks because of bad weather ...
>
> have you ever experienced something like this?

At my parents while hard rain and lightning the signal is sometimes lost
completely (90 cm dish directed and adjusted to ASTRA).

Just a few minutes ago two of three kdvb-fes on a server I'm maintaining
suddenly jumped up to 40 % each for some seconds. Usually they're
between 0.1 - 1%.

> > I also do not understand for what all this additional CPU-load is used.
>
> the driver is trying to (re-?)aquiring the signal by zig-zag-scanning
> the frequency range around the center frequency. This is used to
> compensate temperature drift of LNBs and RF components used in the
> transmitters and receiver units.

Ok, but shouldn't be there some kind of limit? Think about four cards in
a machine starting zig-zag scanning because of some lightnings and the
machine acts like slow motion. Some limit in the driver like all
kdvb-processes together mustn't have more than 20% CPU-load would be
fine.

Rene