[linux-dvb] Re: dvb-bt8xx and net device

André Stein wrote:

First of all, I always set the MAC address manually because after ifconfig -a dvb0_0 the mac address was always inited to 0.. Then the driver actually never oops. It simply "fucks" up the whole system and I don't know why..

I made a similar approach as you. I tuned and brought the net device up with dvbtune
# dvbtune -f 10773250 -p H -s 22000 -n 251 -i
I get a long list of service available at the Astranet frequence and I try to use the T-DSL proxy service (pid 251). Finally the net device is successfully setup.
# ifconfig dvb0_0 10.0.1.1
and the net device is running.. The mac is also set correctly as I hardcoded it in the add_if net code.
# iptraf -d dvb0_0
gets me lots of UDP packages but before I can actually start the proxy service, the system hangs and nothing can't be done anymore. If you're lucky you get data lost because the hd buffers weren't flushed..

So after that I am pretty sure that this nasty bug isn't related with setting the mac address. As I said before, I always set the mac before using the net device and ifconfig -a dvb0_0 showed me that everything went fine. It must be in some way related to the hardware as you're nova s seems to work and Stefan reported the same problem as me with a pinnacle card.
As you're familiar with the dvb interface, is there a possibilty that a package buffer is flooded with data that actually makes the kernel go nuts?
well, I fear that the actual bug is in the bt8xx driver, somewhere in DMA setup and interrupt handling.

Is your system responding on SysRq-Keys after the lockup? Might it hang in a busy-loop somewhere, maybe in interrupt context? Try e.g. alt-sysrq-t or alt-sysrq-p to get an idea where the kernel is actually hanging. Remove the SA_INTERRUPT flag in request_irq() to enable other interrupts while processing bt878_irq().

In any case you might want to set up a serial console on a second box in order to save the logs.

Holger