[linux-dvb] Re: Network: a new hope

Emard writes:
 > See my previous posts where I posted the actual snapshots and indicated
 > the exact points of loss. Just count the dots between two missing ones
 > and convert it to percentage. Each dot represents a packet of nearly 1500
 > bytes

Yes, sorry, I remember your posts.
While they prove that there is a loss they do not help so much finding
the reason.

 > > Can you determine exactly which packets are missing? With this I mean
 > > if you can see which TS packet seems to contain packets but is not
 > > demuxed as having an IP/MPE section.
 >
 > If I took the TS of something predictable and outputting result, I could
 > binary search in the TS and find it or at least locate neighbouring packets
 > that are before and after the missing one, so in the TS the missing one
 > should be located inbetween them most likely.

That would be most helpful.

 > > I have a completetly rewritten section demux code. I test it in user
 > > space with the complete TS as input. It should be easy to see
 > > this way which packets are not handled correctly.
 >
 > To be honest, I am about to try some modifications of the demux code,
 > especially the one where it should finish the previous section and
 > continue the processing of new one where buf[p] is nonzero.

Well, go ahead. This part (buf[p]!=0) worked in tests but maybe
there are special cases where it does something wrong.
Since it seems the version in linuxtv CVS was changed it may
also not react the same as the original version but I want to test
my new code anyway.

 > > But I do not see how this could have any influence on the
 > > workings of the section demuxer. The 0x1fff packets are just skipped.
 >
 > Let's suppose that dvb ip multiplex equipment sends < 0.5 bandwidth
 > data without trying hard to pack them, and as the bandwidth increases
 > it packs the data tightly, using more complex algorithms to fit each
 > single byte in the available bandwidth.

Could be. But would they already start doing this at half bandwidth?

Ralph