[linux-dvb] Re: FF cards alter PTS'?

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
Holger Waechtler wrote:
Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
Well, AFAICS this "old hardware" is very widely used, and the main
platform VDR is designed for. And judging from the download volume
every new version of the "linvdr" distribution causes (according to
Mirko Dölle) VDR must be rather popular ;-) So I guess this hardware
will still be in use for quite a while, and I can see no adequate
replacement around - but that may be due to my lack of market
overview...
:) sorry Klaus, there are plenty: Take any of the decoderless
Nova/Nova-USB/ Skystar2/Avermedia cards, they cost only a fraction of
the old av7110 based cards.

I wasn't referring to budget cards. I meant a full-featured card, with
TV-out, that is able to receive AND replay. Plus the ability to connect
a CAM to it.
You can buy several Budget-alike cards with CAM connector.

Yes, for some of them the CAM is not yet supported, but as long people only get the response get told that they need to buy an expensive full-featured for CAMs this won't change near future.

And every modern PC is able to decoder
several MPEG streams in software at a time.

But that would require quite a bit more CPU power than my current 450MHz
machine - which means more cooling, more noise...
Are you really sure? A friend of mine watches regulary MPEG2 movies recorded with a remotely controlled OSD-less VDR using a Nova card in his server on his stone-old 400MHz G3 PowerBook (no SSE, no MMX, no Altivec -- it's one of the old black ones with the upside-down apple logo, do you remember them?). The cooling fan is switched off almost all the time.

He also wrote a DirectFB demo application that plays back a similiar TS on a 500MHz Sony Vaio with a Neomagic graphics chipset without framedrops.

Well, you have to carefully enable all optimization when compiling your decoder library, but it's definitely possible.

Modern fanless Mainboards like the VIA Epia boards in the Hush-box have much more CPU power and also some MPEG decoder helper functionality speeding up the DCT on the CPU die (or was it on the graphics chip?). MythTV has some experimental support for this feature IIRC.

Painting OSD bitmaps on the
YUV overlay is trivial and gives you the freedom to remove all the evil
hardcoded OSD-related limitations introduced in the VDR source.

The actual device implementation (including the OSD) in VDR can be replaced
through a plugin, like, for instance, the Xine plugin.
So anybody who really wants to use a different hardware for replay
can do so.
Nobody will do so as long everybody gets told he needs a DXR3 or av711x based card for VDR, not?

I slowly get the feeling that VDR is might be the only reason that keeps
those old expensive and misdesigned av711x cards alive, not?

If by "keeping alive" you mean "keeping them on the market", I don't
know. Maybe this is actually true, but then again, where's the
problem? If some manufacturer would sell a better DVB-S card (but
of course _with_ MPEG decoder and tv out) I'd gladly give it a try,
provided the LinuxDVB driver supports it.
Placing such a limited MPEG2 decoder on PCI cards was a dead-end, guess why no other hardware designer did this ever again. And they are expensive, guess why other cards can be so cheap.

I hope no vendor will ever do this again, today all modern processors are powerful enough to decode the stream in software and you still have plenty of free CPU time to do something else.

Believe it or not, VDR became a market-driving force with time, all
these articles in the local computer magazines have been a source of
publicity that commercial DVB card manufacturers could only dream of.

Well, apparently VDR actually does what most people really like ;-)
It is simple, not bloated and easy to handle.
Even worse that VDR requires those expensive cards.

Don't you want to add a software decoder based e.g. on ffmpeg to VDR?
Take a look in the ffplay.c source code, you can rip out most of the
code there. And you get HDTV and MPEG4 decoder support for free.

Personally I don't have any need for this, because I still use the TT
DVB-S cards, and since I have quite a few of these I guess I'll be able
to run them for quite a while ;-)
*g*
Then please tell all VDR users that they shall never again complain about firmware issues :)

Well, somebody should write a plugin that implements such a device, and
you could run VDR without a full featured DVB card. The question would
then be, however, if the budget cards you use then will support CAMs.
There are also new VDR users every day still doing something stupid like buying av711x based cards. Just because they don't have a real alternative and get told to do so.

It's easy to tell a bloody beginner the lie that he needs a hardware MPEG decoder to get things going...

Please understand, though, that people aren't just going to throw
away their full featured DVB cards. There are hundreds (or, more likely,
thousands) of VDR systems out there with full featured DVB cards,
running just fine.
Nobody will force them, but these card have their limitations. You know them.

Holger