[linux-dvb] Re: stability problems + closing and re-opening the frontend

Hi,

In my kind of application (monitoring) I don't really care if I loose some packets. Would it be possible to reset the firmware when that happens? That's what I wanted to try to do by closing the firmware and re-opening it.

Maybe when can trigger that reset when the "waiting for command idle" problem appears. Then send back the tune command. That way, we recover the card without manual operations and without the user level to notice it (maybe a slower tune, though). Or, if you guys think it's too radical, maybe add a reset ioctl. That way, the user level can solve the problem by itself.

I'll try to find a "budget" card. Seems like those are a bit more stable, isn't it?

Thanks.

That's right - and as was to read at the vdr-ml i traced it down to the
tuner-feed of the av7110. If the ves1893 (the frontend-chip) does not feed
any data or interrupts in the ARM, the ARM is perfectly stable, i currently
reached an uptime of 6 days without ARM-crash while in continuous replay,
heavy OSD-load, changes in Playmode, jumps etc etc ...

However, this is only a solution to systems without a dish, as the chip is
required to decode the Sat-signal.

I had hoped this would help the driver developers to fix this in the firmware,
but maybe there is simply no way to circumvent this.

Guido