[linux-dvb] Re: Multimedia controller: Philips Semiconductors SAA7146 (rev 01)

Hi again,

> > I have a Multimedia controller: Philips Semiconductors SAA7146 (rev 01)
> > which i want to use for Sky-Dsl.
> > Due to the fact that i can not access that box with that card right now,
> > need to find out as much information as possible to get it runing once i
> am
> > in front of that box.
> >
> > I had a look at kernel 2.6.x and they have a SAA7146 option in there in
> > Multimedia. So i  guess the card will run under linux.
>
> It depends. Are you sure that it's a DVB card? (so you can actually use
> something like Sky-DSL which uses a satellite link for downstreaming)

Yes, the windows procedure says you have to be able to recive a TV-Stream
(watch TV) in order to get it running.

> If you don't know the exact brand or model, you need to try to load the
> various "budget" drivers + the possible frontend drivers.
>
> > But my actual question is:
> > How can i use a tv-device to dial up?
>
> Please don't get me wrong: perhaps you should get some informations
> about how "Sky-DSL" works first, then make sure you have all
> informations needed by your provider, then get your backchannel (modem,
> isdn) working, then get in front of your computer and get the driver
> running.

I know, i know nothing about it. All i know that downstream will be done
with the dish and upstream with the modem.
The one thing which irritates me is how a video device can become a network
device in order to set your routes.

--
NEU : GMX Internet.FreeDSL
Ab sofort DSL-Tarif ohne Grundgebühr: http://www.gmx.net/dsl