[linux-dvb] Re: Malvern UK transmitter

Andrew de Quincey wrote:
On Tuesday 20 April 2004 16:34, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:

Andrew de Quincey wrote:

On Tuesday 20 April 2004 15:19, Simon Kilvington wrote:

Hi,

	this may be perfectly normal, but I thought it was a bit odd...
I'm receiving DVB-T from the Malvern transmitter, and the frequencies
I tune in to correspond to the ones listed on the OfCom web site:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/reception_advice/digital_trans_guide/sho
w_tr ansmitter.asp-siteID=49.html

but when I run "scan" from the linux-dvb-apps-1.1.0 tar ball - giving
it "T 722166667 8MHz 3/4 3/4 QAM16 2k 1/32 NONE" as a starting point,
it gives the Network Name as Sutton Coldfield. Also, even if I leave
scan running for about an hour it keeps trying to tune into a bunch of
non-existant frequencies (aswell as 5 of the 6 on the Malvern
transmitter) and never tries to tune to the last Malvern frequency
(718MHz) - so it never ends...

	got any ideas?
Several of the UK transmitters I know of are misconfigured... it looks
like they've forgotten to update the NIT tables giving the frequencies.
e.g. Angus and Craigkelly had bad NIT tables when I was testing them last
year (although they may have been fixed by now).

If you think that's bad, you should see the tables on Hotbird. Sheesh.
Certainly good if you want to bulletproof your table parsing code :)
Well, if dvbscan goes into an endless loop it is a bug (probably
already fixed in CVS).

Its not necessarily a bug in dvbscan; there is a transmitter on hotbird which has buggy NIT tables; it says there are two table sections when in fact there is only one.

it's not a bug in dvbscan, it keeps looping because it never
manages to tune in to the frequencies that the Malvern transmitter
isnt broadcasting on - so if the Malvern NIT was correct those
extra frequencies wouldnt be listed and 718MHz would be added

I vaguely remember someone refering to the Malvern transmitter as
being a "repeater" - is it just rebroadcasting what it gets from
Sutton Coldfield? (this was a few years back, and I don't really know
much about hardware... ;-)

--
Simon Kilvington, s.kilvington@eris.qinetiq.com