[linux-dvb] Re: dvb-kernel CVS branched for Linux 2.4

If you can guarantee me that features and functionality worked on in 2.6
that are reasonably 2.4 compliant will get ported to the 2.4 tree then I'm
ok with it

but if you have features and bug fixes that are DVB related, but not
architecture dependent, I.E. bootstrapping 2.6 stuff, then I have a real
problem.  Maintaining two separate code trees without dilligence means
that whomever is NOT on HEAD branch ultimately loses.

If the code before the split works both in 2.4 and 2.6, then why is that
not satisfactory to include in mainline?

What were the historical reasons for using a single tree for 2.4 and 2.6?
What has changed since then philisophically to cause that decision to be
revoked without warning?

For many months, I thought dvb was for 2.4 and dvb-kernel was for 2.6.  I
was surprised to see that dvb-kernel was also for 2.4 and gleefully
switched to it.  I suspect people don't realize that dvb-kernel works in
2.4.

Just because it isn't easy IMHO is not justification not to do it.
Perhaps the CVS code could be marked up in some way such that when the
code is exported to the kernel, an automated process could remove the
unwanted segments I.E. 2.4 compatability.

_J