[linux-dvb] Re: DEC2000-t crashs when changing channels

On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 07:24:39PM +0200, Konrad Rieck wrote:
> Actually my previous message was a little bit wrong. The device silently
> dies. The driver periodically produces the line below even though the
> stream freezes and I am not able to change the channel anymore.
>
>    May 17 19:12:48 zira kernel: ttusb_dec_2000t_frontend_ioctl:
>                                 FE_READ_STATUS
>
> Any further attempt to re-access it will produce the following debug
> messages and finally the timeout error.
>
> May 17 19:12:50 zira kernel: ttusb_dec_2000t_frontend_ioctl: FE_INIT
>
> <...>
>
> May 17 19:12:51 zira kernel: ttusb_dec_send_command: result bulk message
> 	failed: error -110
>
> Game over.

Game over as in no more output from the driver, or if you try again will it
make another failed attempt?

> > Is it a fixed number of channels or a channel/sequence that always causes it?
>
> Any sequence from 2 to 20 channel switches may freeze the device.
> I am using Xine (lib 1.0rc4) and MythTV 0.14.
>
> > > It cannot be revived by software, so that I have to unplug it and wait
> > > until it reboots.
> >
> > I don't suppose you have a tv plugged into it so that you can see if it has
> > really died or is just timing out over the USB connection?
>
> I have an Hauppauge TV card (bttv) and can confirm that the USB device
> really is dead. It need to be unplugged from AC to get back into life.

So no video output from it?  How about the LED, is it pure green or slightly
orangey? (It goes orange when streaming)

> > Can you rmmod the ttusb-dec module and modprobe it and the thing starts
> > working agains?
>
> No. The device will not be detected anymore.

Not detect at all or does the driver timeout trying to contact it and therefore
not register it?

> I saw that some people were talking about the right firmware for the
> DEC2000-t and DEC2450-t. I just checked the following three different
> versions, but still experience the same problem.
>
>    c24505acdf4121c7e6640a83319dbf3b  dvb-ttusb-dec-2000t-2.15a.fw
>    e2433b1d1e09a1ac8d98aa67a66a73aa  dvb-ttusb-dec-2000t-2.16.fw
>    bd86f458cee4a8f0a8ce2d20c66215a9  dvb-ttusb-dec-2000t-2.17.fw

md5sums all look ok.

> p.s.
> Another bad news: I am using an SMP system with hyperthreading (2x2) and
> NPTL, so if something isn't thread-safe, it will fail on my system. ;)

I've attempted to make the driver thread-safe.  I don't have the hardware to
check it on though.  Feel free to try it with a UP configured kernel, if you
get bored ;)

Cheers,
Alex