[linux-dvb] Re: DVB signal

Hi Robert,
On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 08:08:00PM +0200, Robert Schlabbach wrote:
[...]
> To implement percentage readings, you would have to change _all_ frontend
> modules and figure out the hardware-specific ranges, and you would probably
> need to have all hardware available for analysis to do this.
Furthermore, percentage readings are only one possibility.
For comparison, dBµV oder dBm values would be best IMHO, however,
due to different sensitivity of the frontends, there would still be
a difference when trying to get a "percentage" because one frontend
locks at -90dBm, the other needs -85 to get the same BER, just as
an example.

> The lack of any definitions of the range and of the signal readings is an
> unfortunate oversight, which I don't think can be fixed anytime soon.
...and if at all, should be fixed in a way that is suitable for more
professional applications, too. :)

> Regards,«
> --
> Robert Schlabbach