[linux-dvb] Re: minors

Manu Abraham wrote:
> 		Is the minor numbering scheme in dvb-kernel (kernel 2.6) limited to 8 bits,
> for backward compatibility ?
>
> 	But since anyway there is a branchoff between 2.4 & 2.6, i believe it would
> make no sense to default to the 8 bit minor numbering scheme as in 2.4 as
> compared to the 20 bit in 2.6.

Yes, but someone will have to do the work to change it. And it's also
no bad to leave it unchanged for the moment, so that people who don't
use devfs can upgrade from 2.4 to 2.6 without having to recreate
their device nodes. IMHO it's better to wait until we have proper udev support.

Johannes

Home | Main Index | Thread Index