[linux-dvb] Re: minors

> Yes, but someone will have to do the work to change it. And it's also
> no bad to leave it unchanged for the moment, so that people who don't
> use devfs can upgrade from 2.4 to 2.6 without having to recreate
> their device nodes. IMHO it's better to wait until we have proper udev
> support.
>
> Johannes

Johannes,

			Thanks Johannes, you lifted off a big weight off my head. I have 2 more
doubts.

	1) The allocation of minors, there have been a lot minor numbers left off
between one card and the other.

say for eg,

Card 0 has minors 3,4,5,7
Card 1 has minors 67,68,69,71
Card 2 has minors 131,132,133,135

	as you see a lot of minor numbers have been left out say between 9 and 67,
considering that minors are allocated as per the hardware requirements for
various cards, which explains the minors from 0 to 8.

	2) with devfs, devfs is supposed to automatically allocate minors dependant
upon the drivers. ie, the issue as stated earlier should not arise. I have
the same scenario with or without devfs.

	The minor numbers do not change at all. I dug into the code and found that
the nums2minor inline function is allocating the minors no matter whether one
uses devfs or not.

	Is it possible to change this scenario, without impacting the normal
behavior.

Regards,
Manu

Home | Main Index | Thread Index