[linux-dvb] Re: dvbstream stopping

Peter Maersk-Moller wrote:

Hi

Peter Maersk-Moller wrote:

My problem is that dvbstream (0.5) reads zero bytes from the (receiver) device
after having read approx 16100 (plus/minus 200) times 188 bytes. That is approx.
2 seconds (plus/minus) after start).

Correction 3 not 2 seconds approx.

The problem is solved by adding the following line to /etc/modprobe.conf

options dvb_core dvb_shutdown_timeout=0

I can't find this documented in the /usr/src/linux/Documentation/dvb/*
though it is remotely mentioned in the README in the driver distro
from linuxtv, but not many sees this.

"Note 2: you must keep ?zap running, or the frontend will go to sleep (unless
you load dvb-core.o with dvb_shutdown_timeout=0)"

Are there any drawbacks to dvb_shutdown_timeout=0 ?

If one is required to keep zap running (keeping the frontend
opened I assume), then other programs can't access the frontend
I assume - like dvbtune -m ?? or am I mistaken ?

--PMM

older versions of dvbstream closed the frontend after having tuned, and this caused the driver
to lose the lock if you didn't load dvb_shutdown_timeout=0 (which also disables power management).
This problem was solved a long ago changing dvb* not to close the frontend.

If you still lose the lock it seems that the driver you are using has problems.
Try to downgrade to drivers 1.0.x, they should work correctly.
In any case only one program can change tuning parameters.

Nico

Home | Main Index | Thread Index