[linux-dvb] Re: AVerMedia 771 problems [everything solved]

On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 08:17:52AM +1000, Nathan Hand wrote:
> My preference would be that the driver leaves the values alone. There is
> nothing more infuriating than telling the driver FEC_1_2 and finding
> out later the driver thinks it's smarter than you and has been silently
> "correcting" the values to FEC_3_4.
>
> In those situations, how do you tell the driver "no, I really do want
> FEC_1_2, do what I tell you"? If the driver is ignoring your values, in
> the hope of being "useful", then what do you do when the driver gets it
> wrong? Recompile the kernel? Annoying.

If the frontend (not the driver!) is smart enough to correct wrong
parameters, why shouldn't it do so? IMHO what counts for most people
is that they can watch TV ;-)

OTOH tuning will take more time when the frontend has to find out
correct parameters itself, and it's not portable because not all
frontends are smart. So one should specifiy correct parameters
if possible.

But how does one find out what went wrong if the NIT contains
errors? IMHO the best way is to silently let the frontend
correct things, and if the apllication cares it can use FE_GET_FRONTEND
to find out what's going on.

Johannes

Home | Main Index | Thread Index