[linux-dvb] Re: ATTENTION PLEASE: The DVB major device number has changed

On Tuesday 27 July 2004 19:20, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was just informed that LANANA has assigned an official
> major number for DVB, so we don't have to use the "unoffical /
> experimental use only" number 250 anymore.
>
> Apparently the number was assigned months ago, just nobody bothered
> to tell us:
> http://linux.bkbits.net:8080/linux-2.6/cset@1.1371.585.18?nav=index.html
>
> The new offical major number is 212. I've changed the sources
> for dvb-kernel (dvbdev.h and MAKEDEV-DVB.sh). People who
> don't use devfs will have to recreate their devices.

Argh, this will cause a lot of trouble!!!

Imho it would be better to use 250 for all API-3 drivers,
and switch to 212 for API-4.

> I'm thinking it might make sense to change the major number
> for the 2.4 drivers, too. Any objections?

Yes/No: Imho all API-3 drivers should use the same device number.

Oliver

VDR Remote Plugin available at
http://endriss.escape.bei.t-online.de/vdr/
Oliver Endriss                         ESCAPE GmbH
e-mail:  o.endriss@escape-edv.de       EDV-Loesungen
phone:   +49 7722 21504                Birkenweg 9
fax:     +49 7722 21510                D-78098 Triberg