[linux-dvb] Re: ATTENTION PLEASE: The DVB major device number haschanged

On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 07:39:32PM +0200, Oliver Endriss wrote:
> > The new offical major number is 212. I've changed the sources
> > for dvb-kernel (dvbdev.h and MAKEDEV-DVB.sh). People who
> > don't use devfs will have to recreate their devices.
>
> Argh, this will cause a lot of trouble!!!
>
> Imho it would be better to use 250 for all API-3 drivers,
> and switch to 212 for API-4.

IMHO, this is the best solution to avoid a lot of confusion.
API-4 will need many changes to softwares, so a new major
shouldn't be too difficult to do at the same time.
That way, the big confusion will be only once.

Wolfgang

Home | Main Index | Thread Index