[linux-dvb] Re: ATTENTION PLEASE: The DVB major device number has changed

Holger Waechtler <holger@qanu.de> writes:

> a heretical thought comes to my mind: isn't it possible to move to a
> sysfs/udev based filesystem and leave all the struggles of major/minor
> numbering of chrdevs behind?

sysfs support would indead simplify the switchover, as udev can create
the device nodes then automatically if your distribution supports
that, looks like this (major 81 minor 0) for v4l:

eskarina kraxel ~# cat /sys/class/video4linux/video0/dev
81:0

  Gerd

--
return -ENOSIG;