[linux-dvb] Re: wiki?

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:

On 08.09.2004 21:43, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:

The only known "disadvantage" compared to CVS (which will be eliminated
in the upcoming 1.1 version) is that you couldn't use subversion on a
NFS-share, but i wouldn't use a versioning-system via a NFS share.
Well, that would be a show stopper for me.
Why wouldn't it work with NFS?
It wouldn't be safe as subversion doesn't lock the repos-files.

If only a single user is using the repo than it doesn't is a problem.

But as you need write priviliges to read(!) the repo with the curreny
BDB version of the repo AFAIUTM(*) you may destory the repo just be
doing a concurrent "svn update".

BTW: does subversion store everything in plain text files?
No.

Current version uses a Berkeley-DB as backing store. Next version will
support another way called "FSFS" (File System. As in Subversion the
content of a repo is also called file system they used the double "file
system" in the name to get less confusion)

But that will also be a binary and "none human manipulatable" version.

That's something I absolutely want. I'd hate storing my sources
in binary dumps.
I don't see a problem with this.

Well, that's your choice.

I want my files in plain text, so I'll stay with CVS (actually I'm only
using RCS for my own stuff, because I don't need more).

But since this is not a "repository war" discussion, I'll just end it
here from my side. For me subversion is a no-go because it doesn't work
with NFS
For clients it does. Please read the FAQ, storing database servers on NFS filesystems is not recomended in any case due to the broken locking mechanisms in NFS.

For the versioning system it's just important that the database is accessed synchonously and accesses are serialized by a server both CVS and SVN provide this functionality...

Holger

Home | Main Index | Thread Index