[linux-dvb] Re: CX88 i2c issue w/ DVB tuners

Hi,

On 10.09.2004 15:55, Ralph Metzler wrote:
Gerd Knorr writes:
> Ralph Metzler <rjkm@metzlerbros.de> writes:
> > > I think before (a year or so ago) when possible improvements > > of the kernel i2c driver for DVB were discussed on this list > > one of the ideas was to add a type field to the i2c client. > > Something like I2C_DVB_DEMOD, I2C_DVB_TUNER, I2C_ANALOG_TUNER, > > I2C_ANALOG_SOUND_THINGY_GADGET, etc.
> > The i2c driver could then choose in the attach function what kind of
> > clients to accept and how to configure them.
> > We have something like that now in the mainline kernel: the .class
> field in both adapters and clients which can be used to figure
> whenever attaching makes sense or not. That helps reducing address
> clashes alot and was actually added for dvb because it was a real-live
> issue that lm_sensor chips probed on the dvb i2c bus and confused the
> frontends by doing so.

Hmm, but clients do not seem to have that class field yet?!
Unfortunately, yes. I achieved that I2C_ADAP_CLASS_* were renamed to I2C_CLASS_* some time ago, but I never got to the point to submit the .class addition to the struct i2c_client and the necessary changes to all i2c client drivers, so that the i2c code can reliably check for a match of i2c adapter .class and i2c client .class.

My results and partial patches are still lying on my harddrive. Perhaps now would be a good time to polish them again and submit them to mainline kernel.

CU
Michael.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index