[linux-dvb] Re: refactoring

Andrew de Quincey wrote:

On Wednesday 06 Oct 2004 21:13, Holger Waechtler wrote:

Andrew de Quincey wrote:

If so, thats quite neat - then we don't need to export masses of extra
functions from all the demodulator modules - just the attach(), that
structure, and possibly a detach().

Do we still need attach/detach()?

You mean expose them in the structure as well? I think I'd just
automatically thought to have those two as "real" functions.. not sure
why - I just had a hunch there might be problems otherwise.

mmh, no... I just don't remember off-hand if any driver implements real
functionality beside probing in those functions...

Several of them load the firmware in the attach() function. Its also a good place to setup any internal state the demodulator might need.

wouldn't be init() the better place for firmware uploads? Since this is called at wakeup after sleep it will also work for USB devices which get completely powered-down. It should always be possible to determine on the register/device state whether a firmware reload in init() is required, not? Is anything serious done in the detach() functions?

Holger

Home | Main Index | Thread Index