[linux-dvb] Re: refactoring

Michael Hunold wrote:

2) Although it does make overriding the ioctl functions nicer, we can already do that with the current code's ioctl_override() (although not quite as nicely).

ioctl_override() is ugly, because it bypasses type safety. IMO the ioctl processing should be done completely in the dvb frontend code, not in each and every demodulator. By this we can achive guaranteed behaviour.

The same problem exists for other parts of the V3 API, where the API is implemented in the driver and not in the dvb core. For example it's driver specific if video decoding is automatically stopped when the video file descriptor is closed.

I think we have started to walk the road with type safety in mind, so we should not stop half way.

yes. One more point comes to my mind: the new interface allows the dvb-core layer to map the same driver easily to different API versions, we can share the same code for v3, v4 anv v5 (where I'd like to see all status calls merging into a single ioctl...).

Holger

Home | Main Index | Thread Index