[linux-dvb] Re: V4 Denc API Proposal

On Sat, Oct 09, 2004 at 12:08:16PM +0100, Rob.McConnell@Zarlink.Com wrote:
> Please find attached a header file "denc.h" that helps to illustrate what
> capabilities a digital encoder (denc) has.  A denc is normally found on
> STB/iDTV products to convert a digital video signal into an analogue form
> (e.g. RGB, CVBS) to output to a TV/VCR/etc.  It also has the capability to
> insert data into the VBI (e.g. Teletext, WSS, VPS, closed caption).
>
> I have included the vbi functions from "vbi.h" in the header file so that
> STB/iDTV folk can simply have one type of device that does everything
> (instead of having a separate denc and vbi device).  For PC Card folk, just
> use the vbi.h file as it is (probably needs extending to add Teletext and
> cc support).

I think it is not useful to keep both vbi.h and denc.h.

What you left out of denc.h is the one thing which is needed
most in practice (to implement EN 300 472 and EN 301 775):
Handing VBI data from the demux directly to the DENC.

Otherwise it looks OK.

> A few companies have made comments on the lack of a denc API, so that's why

Who? To Whom?

Regards,
Johannes

Home | Main Index | Thread Index