[linux-dvb] Re: 5 Months and counting...

Thanks, I will check out the latest build of XawTV and see if this makes any difference.

Unfortunately Input Core Support is not a user selectable option in the 2.6.8.1 kernel. It is simply enabled by default as CONFIG_INPUT=y in .config - and is visible only to the user through menuconfig as a catagory heading. There is no module y/n or compile directly into the kernel option for it in menu config (or any other configuration tool).

Changing this somehow by hand to read CONFIG_INPUT=m would I think have several detremental effects on various other components and on the whole would not be a good idea - as having your entire device inpute core support as a module just seems a very unstable and unpredictable way to do things. (I assume this is why the Linux kernel developers don't allow it).

Event Device Support however is a selectable option - but it makes no difference to the hotplug messages whether it is enabled as a module or is compiled directly into the kernel. That is to say hotplug still reports:

module input not found
module dvb_ttpci_budget_ci not found

Just for kicks I have included the output from lsmod to show what is loaded. Maybe you guys can tell me if I am missing anything?

lsmod
Module Size Used by
ipv6 262660 6
fglrx 234300 7
vmnet 30736 12
vmmon 48056 0
parport_pc 40256 0
lp 11692 0
parport 41800 2 parport_pc,lp
saa7146_vv 50688 0
video_buf 22148 1 saa7146_vv
v4l1_compat 14596 1 saa7146_vv
v4l2_common 6400 1 saa7146_vv
videodev 9984 1 saa7146_vv
tda1004x 18824 1
sg 34592 0
ds 19076 0
yenta_socket 21760 0
pcmcia_core 66756 2 ds,yenta_socket
8250 21088 0
serial_core 23808 1 8250
eth1394 22024 0
hfsplus 60164 0
hfs 47492 0
minix 33156 0
nls_iso8859_1 4352 0
ntfs 99668 0
sbp2 24584 0
ohci1394 35844 0
ieee1394 111288 3 eth1394,sbp2,ohci1394
snd_emu10k1 98568 0
snd_rawmidi 25636 1 snd_emu10k1
snd_pcm_oss 54568 0
snd_mixer_oss 20096 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm 97800 2 snd_emu10k1,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer 25732 1 snd_pcm
snd_seq_device 8456 2 snd_emu10k1,snd_rawmidi
snd_ac97_codec 69764 1 snd_emu10k1
snd_page_alloc 11912 2 snd_emu10k1,snd_pcm
snd_util_mem 4864 1 snd_emu10k1
snd_hwdep 9732 1 snd_emu10k1
snd 56932 10 snd_emu10k1,snd_rawmidi,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_seq_device,snd_ac97_codec,snd_util_mem,snd_hwdep
soundcore 10208 1 snd
forcedeth 17792 0
evdev 9600 0
budget_ci 10240 0
budget_core 8836 1 budget_ci
dvb_core 87848 3 tda1004x,budget_ci,budget_core
saa7146 19364 3 saa7146_vv,budget_ci,budget_core
ttpci_eeprom 3072 1 budget_core
loop 16136 0
cdemu 11404 0
thermal 13072 0
processor 13220 1 thermal
fan 4236 0
button 6552 0
battery 9740 0
ac 5132 0
floppy 58960 0
uhci_hcd 33040 0
ohci_hcd 21636 0
raid517@0[~]$

GJ

Matthias Fechner wrote:
Hello raid517,

* raid517 <raid517@fairadsl.co.uk> [11-10-04 10:53]:

That is certainly a helpful response. Thankyou. Unfortunately I can't do that with Kernel 2.6.8.1 as 'input' is not avaiable as a configurable option - at least not in any of the common utilities such as menuconfig xconfig make config and so on. However if I look at my .Config file, this this already set, that is input=y. I can only guess that the kernel developers have made the assumption that pretty much everyone is going to want some kind of input support or other. Even if they do not want X, they are probably still going to want keyboard support. The mystery is however why does hotplug assume 'input' is part of the dvb package?

why hotplug want to load, i dont know, but i checked my kernel
(2.6.8.1) and there these options are available.
But for my video i use kernel 2.4 and in this documentation i found:
- Make sure that your kernel has enabled:
Video4Linux Support (CONFIG_VIDEO_DEV)
needed by cards with integrated MPEG decoder to display
video on screen
Input Core Support (CONFIG_INPUT)
Event Device Support (CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV)
needed by the DVB remote control driver

I'm not sure if this is required for kernel 2.6 too.
Maybe you should set these options manual in your .config file and
then start menuconfig or what u want and check it.
I think it is under Device Driver -> Input device support.

But of the reason that my video is temporaily not working i cannot
check it.

Hope this help a little

Home | Main Index | Thread Index