[linux-dvb] Re: Is the list of supported CAMs up-to-date?

From: "post" <post@mhr.at>
> I was just searching for more info about supported CI modules,
> but I only found the document README.tt-budget-ci (Rev. 1.6)

Note the word BUDGET in there...

> At the moment, I have two different modules here for testing (with a
> Hauppauge WinTV Nexus-S + Hauppauge CI-Adapter 545):

...and that's a PREMIUM card. Totally different CI hardware. Only the
Budget-CI has known compatibility issues due to not being 100% to the CI
specified timings. I haven't heard of any compatibility issues with the
PREMIUM-CI yet.

> I was wondering, why some CAMs work, and some not. Isn't the
> common-interfaces standardized???

It is, but the CI standard must be one of the most violated ones. Neither
the ZetaCAM nor the Budget-CI fully stick to it.

> So if one module is working, all modules should do. Or is it just the
> driver-support for the CI still being buggy???

Not only Andrew and I, but also TechnoTrend themselves tried to make the
ZetaCAM work in the Budget-CI - noone had any success.

> How can a module seem to be working, but causes these strange
> black&white picture toggles???

Hmm, the ZetaCAM violates the specifications in that it draws too much
power from the interface. Is this possibly disturbing the video output
circuits on your board...?

Regards,
--
Robert Schlabbach