[linux-dvb] Re: Fusion HDTV 3 Gold

From: "Taylor Jacob" <rtjacob@earthlink.net>
> My understanding is that the biggest differnce is the FEC scheme used..
> DVB-C uses either Annex A or Annex C, and so do all the DVB-C frontends,

Aha, I see. Annex B uses Trellis inner coding, which DVB-C doesn't have.
From what I understand, Annex B was originally designed/used for cable
modem applications (DOCSIS), for better error protection at the price of
increased synchronization (channel change) times. Since cable modems don't
change channels, that's acceptable there, but not nice for television.
DVB-C's primary application is television, where quick channel changes are
more important...

> First thing you will notice in the specs is electrically they are
> identical,

Too bad then that they don't use DVB-C. The TechnoTrend "budget" Common
Interface is a low-level interface, so if CI and POD (aka CableCard) are
electrically identical, it shouldn't have been a problem to write a POD
driver for it...

> and then you will see that the PMT send to the CAM is SLIGHTLY
different..

If the only difference is that "high up", even CIs with a "high level"
interface might work... But as long as an ITU-J83 Annex B card with a CI
does not exist, that point is moot anyway...

Regards,
--
Robert Schlabbach
e-mail: robert_s@gmx.net