[linux-dvb] Re: Twinhan CA

On Sun November 28 2004 6:47 pm, Ralph Metzler wrote:
> Manu Abraham writes:
>  > > which implement the remainder in user space.
>  >
>  > There is no Transport Layer.. There is only Application layer.
>  >
>  > > Vendor specific
>  > > ioctls for CI are bad.
>  >
>  > They are required in this case, if full features need be exploited. Else
>  > the driver would become jut like the initial original application which
>  > Twinhan had, reads from the DMA buffer in userspace in large chunks
>
> You do not have to make it vendor specific.
I did not mean that, but what i mean to say is that some generic style of
vendor implementation would be better. I have to do some more work, I have to
wait till tomorrow  till my subscription is renewed. :-(

I did not want to post some half baked code. I think some more work, it should
be moving.

> We could just define a CA_CI_APP type for ca_slot_info_s
> and, as I described before, exchange just application
> level messages either via CA_GET/SEND_MSG or via extra ioctls for
> each kind of message.

Another potential problem with generic ioctl's is that a wrong command could
make the ASIC go crazy.

Manu
> The old CA_CI type was actually meant for this because the FF cards
> originally also had a similar kind of application level interface
> but this never was implemented.
>
> Ralph

Home | Main Index | Thread Index