[linux-dvb] Re: cinergyT2: which kernel/usb module to use?

Johannes Stezenbach wrote:

Ralph Metzler wrote:

Johannes Stezenbach writes:
> The whole issue could be trivially fixed by converting cinergyT2
> to use the dvb_frontend core, as *all* other frontends do.
> I would volunteer to do that, however I won't unless Holger
> gives me an OK -- I guess he had some reasons not to use
> dvb_frontend.

I don't know his reasons but for some frontends you just do not need/want the whole dvb_frontend stuff, especially if it is changing every few weeks.

It isn't changing every few weeks. It changed once during
restructuring. (Unless you count the intermediate restructure
attempts, but you didn't have to follow those.)

I am also not using it for Twinhan cards myself.

Why? It won't be more code to use dvb_frontend.

it would.

So, what's the problem?

all the workarounds are easily interfering with properly designed hardware that does everything just right, do you remember all the requests to allow to disable zigzag-scan, recovery code etc?

The less code your driver depends on the more robust it will be. Especially the frontend thread code has been well-known in the past to be sensible to changes that silently break one driver while fixing another one.

Maybe dvb_frontend should just export some message queue handling
calls.
It is unnecessary. See above.

it is not -- library-alike code is always more flexible usable.

Regardless of all this, an application should handle getting an
EINVAL or ENOTSUPP from FE_GET_EVENT.

The API (as documented) requires frontends to implement FE_GET_EVENT.
Why should we want to break this?

is somewhere stated that this ioctl is mandantory, I can't remind so? As for all other ioctls the application has to check the return value and properly handle this.

Holger

Home | Main Index | Thread Index