[linux-dvb] Re: cinergyT2: which kernel/usb module to use?

Ralph Metzler wrote:

Johannes Stezenbach writes:
> Stefan Lucke wrote:
> > The bad thing is, that with vdr (1.3.7) I had a system freeze again (caps
> > lock and scroll lock continuously on).
> > I already reported that there is an infinite recursion in
> Holger's FE_GET_EVENT implementation. You'll just get
> a stack overflow.
> > The whole issue could be trivially fixed by converting cinergyT2
> to use the dvb_frontend core, as *all* other frontends do.
> I would volunteer to do that, however I won't unless Holger
> gives me an OK -- I guess he had some reasons not to use
> dvb_frontend.

I don't know his reasons but for some frontends you just do not need/want the whole dvb_frontend stuff, especially if it is changing every few weeks.
I am also not using it for Twinhan cards myself.
Maybe dvb_frontend should just export some message queue handling
calls.
It would be nice if all subsystems and infrastructure code would get converted slowly to a library-alike interface so that it is possible to use only parts of it without being forced to give full control to the infrastructure support code.

I want to use the cinergyT2 driver as testbed for the v5 mmap() experiments and thus need full access to the frontend fops, this was the primary reason to bypass the dvb_frontend code.

Modern hardware doesn't needs anything the dvb_frontend code provides, most of the code there are fallbacks and workarounds for ancient demods+PLLs.

Regardless of all this, an application should handle getting an
EINVAL or ENOTSUPP from FE_GET_EVENT.

right.

Holger

Home | Main Index | Thread Index