[linux-dvb] Old style Nova-T and Lirc

Hi,

I'm using a Nova-T (old style) and under Gentoo (2.6.9) and can't for
the life of me get the standard grey remote to work with lirc.

Here's what I've learned so far.

Remote events are being delivered to the event interface
(/dev/input/event2) OK.  evtest catches all button presses.
The remote is being handled (according to /proc/bus/input) by kbd and
event2.  When I press the 0-9 buttons on the remote I see a character
(0-9) at the active console but this is almost immediately followed by 4
more such characters.  I expected the keyboard to pick up the character
(as the remote is being handled by kbd).  However why do I get the other
chars?  I thought it might be due to autorepeat on the keyboard but
monkeying around with 'kbdrate' doesn't seem to make any difference.

Now, lirc.  I've installed lirc from the gentoo ebuild (lirc-0.7.0-r1)
(specifying --with-driver=devinput).  There's a /dev/lircd socket
created in /dev but that's all - is that correct or and I missing
/dev/lircX character device (I use devfs)?  lircd runs (using the
options  -H dev/input -d /dev/input/event2) and irw can connect but it
sees no events.  Similarly irrecord complains about not finding a gap.

Whilst lircd is running,  console windows continue to receivce keyboard
events too.  I expected lirc to pre-empt the keyboard driver?  If this
isn't the case won't an lirc aware application (eg Mythtv) receive
keypresses and lirc events?

Any help in resolving this sould be appreciated.  I've been googling
like a man posessed but have so far turned up no solutions.

Thanks

Mark