[linux-dvb] Re: we might be losing multicast packets

Hello,

On a different stream, no matter what the RECV buffer size is, I get

recvfrom: resource temporarily unavailable

and now when I look at my ifconfig stats, I see that there are 3 errors,
all three of them framing errors, although I have seen resource
temporarily unavailable many more times than 3.

Under what circumstances could the 2.4 driver produce this error?

_J

In the new year, Jeremy Hall wrote:
> Hi Johannes,
>
> In the new year, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 08:51:45PM -0500, Jeremy Hall wrote:
> > > I am using current dvb-kernel v2.4 branch with a dvb/s ff card.  I am
> > > using dvbnet that I found in some apps dir on my hd, no telling how old it
> > > is, but I run dvbnet -p pidnum to get a dvb0_0 and another one for dvb0_1.
> > >
> > > The datarate for dvb0_1 is small, like 64k, so I don't see losing packets,
> > > but dvb0_0 is like 7 or 8 megabits per second.
> >
> > What do you mean by "datarate for dvb0_0"? The bandwidth on that PID
> > or just the multicast you want to receive?
>
> It is hard to tell what the bandwidth is for each multicast group, since
> there are 3 groups transmitting, eventually I'd like to pull all three at
> once.  The srate is 7955, so I'm guessing maybe the whole stream is about
> 10 or 11 meg a second.  This would mean each stream, if evenly divided,
> might be around 4mb each, although if one isn't transmitting, the others
> might spin up their datarate to use available bandwidth.  How would you
> recommend I determine this accurately?
>
> > The DEBI bandwidth on FF cards is limited (don't have exact figures).
> > If you just want a part of the packets on that PID you could try
> > hw_sections=1 to reduce the used DEBI bandwidth (but there are reports
> > that hw section filters stop on overflow conditions).
> >
> My experience with hw_sections=1 has been (in the past) that the arm
> crashes because I'm trying to process too many sections at once or am not
> able to keep up or some other nonsense.
>
> > Or the bottleneck is elsewhere: Does ifconfig report dropped packets?
>
> no, it doesn't show dropping packets.
>
> > Did you try to set SO_RCVBUF (see socket(7))?
> >
> I just ran with SO_RCVBUF set to 2mb, 4mb, and now am running with 8mb.  I
> have had improving results with each size increase.  That still seems
> quite high to set the receive buffer.
>
> _J
>
> > Johannes

Home | Main Index | Thread Index