[linuxtv-softmpeg] AW: VDR / softmpeg requirements

Hi Nicolas,

> I am trying to have a working VDR since many weeks now (I'm
> slow), on my
> EPIA M10000 with CLE266.
> I wish to use DirectFB, so I tried both the softdevice VDR plugin and
> libsoftmpeg with the softmpeg VDR plugin... At this time,
> none of them work.
>
> I would like to have clear requirements for the system to work :
>
> * I have kernel 2.6.6 in a Debian testing install, I can recompile and
> tweak ther kernel as I wish...
> * I patched the kernel with the -epia patch from
> http://www.epiawiki.org/wiki/tiki-download_file.php?fileId=6

fine

> * what version of the viafb must I use ? (the -epia kernel patch doc
> says the viafb come from directfb.org, but I'm not sure)

The module from the patched kernel should do very well.
(Ain't it the same like the CVS version?)

> * can I / must I compile viafb as a module, or in-kernel

Do it as a module, so you can "insmod" the module with the appropriate parameters before starting VDR.

> * can I / shoudn't I also compile vesafb (in-kernel, as a module) ?

No

> * is there any other module that I should compile, are the versions
> important ? (agpgart, via_v4l_drv, drm, fusion, fbgen (?), etc.)

No

> * what order should these modules be loaded, if compiled as modules ?
> * what version of DirectFB should I use ? (I tried 0.9.20 from Debian
> testing, and a self compiled 0.9.21-cvs, checked out last sunday)

I'm using last month's CVS version, which does well.
I added a patch from Colin (search for Colin), which imports a faster copy function

Additionaly I used Colin's test version of the CLE266 hardware decoder.
You may not need it because your CPU seems strong enough to do software decoding of the MPEG stream.

> * what other DirectFB libraries should I use ? (FusionSound, etc.)

Everthing, which is described in the softmpeg dokumentation

> * my /etc/fb.modes file came from Debian, and does not seem
> to be suited
> to the CLE266 : is there a source for a good fb.modes file ?

look in the mailing lists, there are some example modeline

> * what screen resolution works best with VDR/softmpeg, and how can I
> check working screen resolutions (when I have vga=ask in
> lilo.conf, and
> viafb compiled-in, a scan of available modes freezes the kernel).

I think, the TV resolution (TV=1 option) works best.
This way, the picture doesn't have to be transformed.
Select whether to use PAL or NTSC (TVtype=  option).

> TIA,
>
> --
> NH

hth,