[vdr] Re: why doesnt vdr name an instant recording with the information from the epg data?

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> > BTW: What's about Showview-Support in VDR?
> > Sometimes it is necessary to create a timer when no EPG info is
> > available, and Showview would simplify this procedure. You only have to
> > enter one number in which channel, date, time etc. is decoded.
>
> Frankly, I never understood why it would be simpler to enter an arbitrary
> number (which is - or at least was - only available in specific tv guides)
> instead of channel/date/time. With channel/date/time I can see exactly
> what will happen. With an arbitrary number I can only hope that this will
> be the correct data.

That was exactly my reaction some years ago when showview was invented.

Some people argued that showview was "as easy as dialing a phone number".
Well, back in the old days, you had to dial telephone numbers.
Modern phones have name lists, so you can select the name of the person
you want to reach and the phone will map it to a number automatically.

A Star Trek communicator simply allows you to say "bridge" or "engineering".
Would it not be funny if Captain Picard had to say "612-555-1212" instead?

So, I agree with Klaus, showview technology is going backwards.

Carsten.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index