[vdr] Re: Use VDR as an Internetbrowser ??

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 04:22:32AM +0100, Carsten Koch wrote:
> Tilo Renkl wrote:
> > Is it maybe in future possible to render a browser-window to the DVB-card to
> > surf throu the
> > Internet via VDR ?
> >
> > What do you think about it ?
>
> Hmm. Let's see.
> That would give us a browser window at little more than 640x480
> resolution, very slow repaint times, sms-like character input,
> no mouse, ...

With wireless keyboard and mouse no problem. The main idea behind this is to
save the space for a extra monitor. Not much different to this solution:
 TV-out graphics card and a video switch to switch from DVB-s to TV-out
You can use the video switch of your TV (use 2 AV inputs) for that, if
possible. This solution has the advantage that VDR is completly untouched.

But back to mpeg:
If we are able to generate true MPEG2 (not only I frames), we can get
50Hz update rate. But sure this is not easy and maybe impossible with today's
CPU's, with a "I frame only" mechanism we should achive 1..5 fps. Not bad
for a mostly static picture.

> Seriously, I would very much like to browse some web pages on my TV.

With a X-Server you cannot only surf, you can read and write emails, chat ...

> But at PAL or NTSC resolution?

Yes this is the biggest drawback.

> With a remote control as input device?
> Sounds like torture to me.

btw SOUND - this should also be possible :-)

I think this application (X-Server) should be completely independent from
VDR. You should be able to start it with the command menu, and the xserver
should get control over the primary DVB card. (vdr should be able to run in
background with the remaining cards). From within the xserver you should
be able to return to vdr.

        Matthias

Home | Main Index | Thread Index