[vdr] Re: How to delete recordings?

Rainer Zocholl wrote:

> The free disc display is very nice and of great help!
>
> But i don't understand, why VDR is not deleting the files
> in the moment i delete them in the screen ;-)
>
> For example:
> I see: uups, only 20 minute left, i have to delete some file
> manually, else i will get pure black recordings...
>
> Going into the recording menu, i found deleting 3 files 30min each
> would be enough.
> Going back: Still only 20 minutes left.
> Why?
>
> Some time later, just falling to sleep, the box makes a
> loud(er) noise. Uuup, what's going on?
> Now it was just deleting the files ;-)

Actually deleting several gigabytes from a disk takes a while and
may disturb an ongoing recording session (I had that in the early stages
of VDR, that's why I implemented the delayed deleting). Also, if you delete
a recording by accident, you still have a chance of getting it back by
renaming the directory from *.del back to *.rec.

> How may i force a "delete now"?

Define a command in commands.conf that does this:

Remove deleted recordings : rm -r `find /video -name '*.del'`

(this is given without any warranty that it will work - I haven't
explicitly tested it!).

Klaus